The ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship for Developing Countries is a prestigious program that provides talented students from developing countries with the opportunity to pursue doctoral studies in science and technology at Chinese universities. The scholarship aims to promote international collaboration, advance scientific research, and contribute to the development of human resources in developing countries.
To be eligible for the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship for Developing Countries, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Nationality: Be a citizen of a developing country in the South.
- Academic Record: Hold a Master’s degree in a relevant field of science or technology from a recognized university, with a strong academic record.
- Research Interest: Demonstrate a keen interest in pursuing doctoral research in one of the following disciplines:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences, including Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space, and Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Social and Economic Sciences
- Age Limit: Be under 35 years of age at the time of application.
- English Proficiency: Possess a strong command of English, both written and spoken.
- Research Potential: Exhibit a clear potential for conducting high-quality doctoral research and making significant contributions to the field of study.
- Commitment to Return: Be committed to returning to their home country upon completion of their studies to apply their acquired knowledge and expertise to the development of their nation.
The ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship for Developing Countries provides comprehensive support to selected scholars, including:
- Full Tuition Fees: Complete coverage of tuition fees for up to four years of doctoral studies at a designated Chinese university.
- Monthly Stipend: A monthly stipend of RMB 3,500 (approximately USD 510) to cover living expenses.
- Research Allowance: A research allowance of RMB 15,000 (approximately USD 2,200) per year to support research activities.
- Travel Costs: Reimbursement of travel costs (up to a maximum of RMB 20,000 (approximately USD 2,900)) for round-trip travel between the scholar’s home country and China.
- Settlement Allowance: A settlement allowance of RMB 10,000 (approximately USD 1,450) to assist with settling in upon arrival in China.
- Health Insurance: Comprehensive health insurance coverage for the duration of the scholarship.
- Accommodation: Assistance in securing affordable accommodation at the designated Chinese university.
The application process for the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship for Developing Countries typically opens in October and closes in March each year. Interested applicants can submit their applications online through the USTC or UCAS admission system. The application process involves submitting the following documents:
- Completed online application form
- Academic transcripts
- Master’s degree diploma or certificate
- Two letters of recommendation from academic or professional references
- Research proposal outlining the applicant’s intended doctoral research
- Personal statement highlighting the applicant’s academic achievements, research interests, and career aspirations
- English language proficiency certificate (if applicable)
- Passport copy
Applications are rigorously reviewed by a selection committee based on the following criteria:
- Academic record
- Research proposal
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Interview performance (if applicable)
Notification of Results
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications within a few months of the application deadline. Selected scholars will receive an official acceptance letter and invitation to attend the orientation program in China.
Benefits of ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship
The ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship for Developing Countries offers numerous benefits to scholars, including:
- Financial Support: Comprehensive financial support to cover tuition fees, living expenses, travel costs, and research activities.
- Research Opportunities: Access to world-class research facilities and resources at leading Chinese universities.
- Mentorship and Guidance: Mentorship from renowned scientists and experts in the field of study.
- International Exposure and Networking: Exposure to a diverse international research community and opportunities to build global networks.
- Career Advancement and Leadership Potential: Potential for career advancement and leadership opportunities in science and technology.
- Contribution to Development: Opportunity to apply their knowledge and expertise to address critical challenges and contribute to the development of their home country.
The ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship for Developing Countries is a transformative opportunity