The BIGSAS/DAAD Graduate School Scholarship Programme for African Scholars is a prestigious initiative designed to support and empower outstanding African students seeking to pursue postgraduate studies at the University of Cape Town (UCT) in South Africa. This collaborative program between the Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies (BIGSAS) and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) aims to foster academic excellence, promote cross-cultural understanding, and contribute to Africa’s development through the advancement of knowledge and research.
To be eligible for the BIGSAS/DAAD Graduate School Scholarship Programme for African Scholars, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be an African citizen from a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.5 or equivalent from a recognized university.
- Be applying for a full-time master’s or doctoral degree program in any field offered at the University of Cape Town (UCT).
- Demonstrate a strong academic record and research potential.
- Possess a keen interest in contributing to Africa’s development through their research and future career.
- Exhibit exceptional leadership potential and a commitment to making a positive impact on society.
The BIGSAS/DAAD Graduate School Scholarship Programme for African Scholars provides comprehensive support to selected scholars, including:
- Full tuition fees for the duration of the master’s or doctoral degree program.
- A monthly stipend to cover living expenses.
- Establishment allowance upon arrival in Cape Town.
- Travel allowance for return flights between your home country and Cape Town.
- Health insurance coverage.
- Access to research grants and other support services.
The application process for the BIGSAS/DAAD Graduate School Scholarship Programme for African Scholars is typically open from February to March each year. Interested applicants should check the program website for the latest application deadlines and procedures. The application process typically involves the following steps:
- Create an Online Scholarship Account: Create an account on the BIGSAS scholarship portal.
- Complete the Online Application Form: Fill out the online application form with all required information, including academic transcripts, recommendation letters, and personal statements.
- Submit Supporting Documents: Upload any necessary documents, such as English language proficiency certificates or supporting evidence of financial hardship.
- Attend an Interview (if applicable): Selected applicants may be invited for an interview to further assess their academic qualifications, research interests, and future career aspirations.
Applications are rigorously reviewed by a selection committee based on the following criteria:
- Academic record and research potential.
- Personal statement and recommendation letters.
- Demonstration of interest and motivation for pursuing a postgraduate degree program at UCT.
- Relevance of the chosen field of study to Africa’s development needs.
- Commitment to returning to your home country and contributing to its development.
- English language proficiency.
- Interview performance (if applicable).
Notification of Results
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications within a few months of the application deadline. Selected scholars will receive an official acceptance letter and invitation to join the BIGSAS/DAAD Graduate School Scholarship Programme.
Benefits of BIGSAS/DAAD Graduate School Scholarship Programme for African Scholars
The BIGSAS/DAAD Graduate School Scholarship Programme for African Scholars offers numerous benefits to selected scholars, including:
- Financial support to cover tuition fees, living expenses, travel, and health insurance, allowing scholars to focus on their studies and research endeavors.
- Access to world-class education and research opportunities at the University of Cape Town, a leading research institution in Africa.
- Mentoring and support from experienced BIGSAS faculty and DAAD representatives, providing guidance and support for academic success and personal development.
- Exposure to a diverse and supportive international student community, fostering cross-cultural understanding and lifelong connections.
- Potential for career advancement and leadership opportunities in academia or industry.
The BIGSAS/DAAD Graduate School Scholarship Programme for African Scholars is an exceptional opportunity for outstanding African students to pursue their academic aspirations, contribute to their chosen fields, and prepare for successful careers in a globalized world. With its comprehensive financial support, world-class research environment, vibrant academic community, and collaborative research opportunities, the BIGSAS/DAAD Graduate School Scholarship Programme provides an ideal environment for scholars to excel and achieve their full potential.