The National Bureau of Asian Research (NBR) is pleased to announce the opening of applications for its 2023 Chinese Language Fellowship Program (CLFP) for PhD students. This prestigious fellowship program supports outstanding PhD students in the United States who are pursuing research on China to devote one year to intensive Chinese language training at an institution of their choice, generally in China or Taiwan.
To be eligible for the NBR 2023 CLFP, applicants must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Be enrolled in a full-time PhD program in the United States.
- Have a strong academic record and a demonstrated interest in research on China.
- Demonstrate an intermediate Chinese language ability (e.g., through course transcripts and/or the results of language assessment tests) and a clear commitment to expand these language skills.
The NBR 2023 CLFP provides a comprehensive package of benefits to selected fellows, including:
- Full tuition fees for up to one year of intensive Chinese language training.
- Monthly stipend of USD 5,000 to cover living expenses.
- Round-trip flight ticket from the fellow’s home institution to the language training program.
- Health insurance.
- Access to a network of NBR scholars and experts on China.
The application deadline for the NBR 2023 CLFP is February 21, 2023. Interested applicants can submit their applications online through the NBR’s application website. The application process involves submitting the following documents:
- Completed online application form.
- Academic transcripts.
- Two letters of recommendation from academic or professional references.
- Research proposal outlining the applicant’s intended doctoral research.
- Personal statement highlighting the applicant’s academic achievements, research interests, and career aspirations.
- Writing sample of the applicant’s academic work.
- Chinese language proficiency certificate (if applicable).
Applications are rigorously reviewed by a selection committee based on the following criteria:
- Academic record.
- Research proposal.
- Letters of recommendation.
- Personal statement.
- Interview performance (if applicable).
Notification of Results
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications within a few months of the application deadline. Selected fellows will receive an official acceptance letter and invitation to attend the orientation program in China or Taiwan.
Benefits of NBR 2023 CLFP
The NBR 2023 CLFP offers numerous benefits to selected fellows, including:
- Financial support to cover tuition fees, living expenses, and travel costs.
- Opportunity to develop advanced Chinese language skills to enhance research capabilities and deepen understanding of China.
- Exposure to a rich cultural and historical environment in China or Taiwan.
- Chance to build a network of international connections and potential collaborators.
- Potential for career advancement and leadership opportunities in research on China.
The NBR 2023 Chinese Language Fellowship Program is an exceptional opportunity for outstanding PhD students in the United States to enhance their Chinese language proficiency and gain a deeper understanding of China while pursuing their doctoral research. This fellowship provides fellows with comprehensive financial support, access to world-class language training, and valuable networking opportunities, fostering their academic excellence and preparing them for successful careers in China-related fields.