The Nieman-Berkman Klein Fellowship in Journalism Innovation is a one-year fellowship program at Harvard University for journalists who are interested in exploring and developing new ways to do journalism in the digital age. The program is a collaboration between the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard and the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard.
The program is open to journalists from all over the world, and fellows are selected based on their experience, potential, and commitment to innovation. Fellows spend the year at Harvard taking courses, conducting research, and collaborating with other fellows and faculty. They also have the opportunity to travel and learn from journalists and innovators around the world.
The Nieman-Berkman Klein Fellowship is a highly competitive program, and fellows are expected to produce significant work during their year at Harvard. Fellows have gone on to start new media companies, develop new journalistic tools and techniques, and lead innovation in the news industry.
- Applicants must be working journalists or work for a news organization in a business, technology, or leadership capacity. Freelance journalists are welcome to apply.
- Applicants must have at least five years of professional experience in journalism.
- Applicants must have a strong interest in innovation and be committed to developing new ways to do journalism in the digital age.
- Applicants must have excellent English language skills.
- Fellows receive a stipend of $75,000 for the year.
- Fellows have access to all of the resources of Harvard University, including its libraries, laboratories, and computing centers.
- Fellows participate in a variety of seminars, workshops, and conferences.
- Fellows have the opportunity to travel and learn from journalists and innovators around the world.
To apply for the Nieman-Berkman Klein Fellowship, students must submit an online application form, including their CV, transcripts, writing samples, and letters of recommendation.
The deadline to apply for the Nieman-Berkman Klein Fellowship is December 1st, 2023.
For more information about the Nieman-Berkman Klein Fellowship, please visit the Nieman Foundation for Journalism website.
Tips for Applicants:
- Make sure to carefully review the eligibility requirements and application process before submitting your application.
- Write a strong personal statement that highlights your experience, potential, and commitment to innovation.
- Get strong letters of recommendation from colleagues or mentors who can attest to your skills and abilities.
- Submit your application early to increase your chances of being selected.
I hope this information is helpful. Good luck with your application!