The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS) at Stellenbosch University (SU) is offering a limited number of full-time scholarships for PhD studies commencing in 2024. These scholarships are available to South African citizens or permanent residents who have obtained a Master’s degree with an average of 70% or higher.
To be eligible for a FASS PhD scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a South African citizen or permanent resident
- Have obtained a Master’s degree with an average of 70% or higher
- Be able to commence studies in January 2024
- Be committed to full-time study
- Have a strong research proposal
- Be able to demonstrate the ability to conduct independent research
The FASS PhD scholarships cover the following:
- Full tuition fees
- A monthly stipend of R20,000
- A research allowance of R15,000 per year
- Medical aid
Applications for FASS PhD scholarships open in October 2023 and close in February 2024. Applicants can submit their applications online.
Applications are assessed by a panel of experts based on the following criteria:
- Academic record
- Research proposal
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Interview performance
Notification of Results
Applicants are notified of the outcome of their applications in March 2024.
Benefits of FASS PhD Scholarships
FASS PhD scholarships offer a number of benefits, including:
- The opportunity to conduct research at a world-class university
- The chance to work with leading experts in your field
- The ability to make a significant contribution to your field of study
- The opportunity to develop your research skills and expertise
- The chance to network with other researchers from around the world
How to Apply
To apply for a FASS PhD scholarship, please visit the Stellenbosch University website and complete the online application form.
The deadline for applications is February 2024.
For more information about FASS PhD scholarships, please contact the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Stellenbosch University.
The FASS PhD scholarships are a valuable opportunity for outstanding South African students to pursue their PhD studies at Stellenbosch University. These scholarships provide students with the financial support and resources they need to conduct their research and make a significant contribution to their field of study.
- The FASS PhD scholarships are renewable for up to three years.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as the competition for these scholarships is high.
- For more information about the FASS PhD scholarships, please visit the Stellenbosch University website.